Five Finger Death Punch singer Ivan Moody injured his right eye after being accidentally exposed to a laser beam during the band’s May 19 show at Welcome To Rockville in Florida.
Moody explained in a video on Instagram: “During the show I got overheated, and I walked back and I passed out… I was grabbing towards Charlie’s kit. And the heat — it was exhausting. Charlie almost passed out too. And I reached for a cymbal and I felt myself going under. And so I ran back. And I was okay. My guys helped me out. And as I’m coming back onstage, one of the lasers kicked backwards, ’cause I tripped basically over it, and it shot me in the eye. And these things are like… they basically have the power of a minor supernova; they’re really bad. If you put your phone up to one of ’em, it’ll actually black out your screen.
He continued: “So, anyway, I’ve gotta go back to Las Vegas and I’ve gotta see a real eye doctor. And hopefully it’s okay. I can’t see out of it right now. It’s, like, have you ever stared at the sun or a lightbulb and you get that green light — it blackens it out. Imagine that times, like, a thousand. They thought my retina was separated; that’s how bad it was.
“So when I go to Europe here in a couple of weeks, you all might be seeing me with a fucking patch on my eye. Go ahead. Make fun. Don’t care. But it is what it is. I had a blast. Like I said, I’m really sorry. I felt like I got exhausted — the weight of the humidity. 85 percent humidity in 90-degree weather, it takes a toll. And I saw a lot of you falling down. And when I went to the E.R., there were a lot of you out there.”